Saun & Starr
Look Closer, the debut album by Saun & Starr, was released by Daptone Records in May 2015. While the group’s name may not be immediately familiar, Starr Duncan-Lowe and Saundra Williams’ distinctive voices have been featured as the background vocals for Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings both on stage and on record. Saun & Starr joined The Dap-Kings at Daptone Records’ House of Soul in Brooklyn to record Look Closer. The first single from this session, ‘Hot Shot’ – penned by Daptone’s in-house producer Gabe Roth and Dap-Kings’ saxophonist Cheme Gastelum, and backed with ‘Gonna Make Time’ – was Daptone’s best selling 45 to date.
• MOJO – ★★★★ “Once more, Daptone has come up trumps; this is solid gold soul”
• Record Collector – ★★★★ “A mesh of gospel-infused passion and 70s-styled uptown sophistication”
• Blues & Soul magazine – ★★★★★ review “A really wonderful retro soul album destined to become a well deserved smash”
• Daily Mirror ★★★★ – “Superior retro soul”
• Daily Express ★★★★ – “Saundra Williams and Starr Duncan-Lowe are normally found deeper in the mix… but this time they are centres stage and Look Closer shows they belong there.”
• Soul, Jazz and Funk – ★★★★★ “One great contemporary soul album”